Source: Adapted from Emily Bites
- 2 Boneless skinless chicken breasts (4-6 oz each)
- 6 slices of turkey pepperoni
- 3 TBSP low carb, low sugar pizza sauce (I used Mid's)
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp basil
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 TBSP 2% shredded mozzarella
- 1 TBSP whole wheat flour
- 1 Egg white, beaten
- 3 TBSP Italian seasoned panko breadcrumbs (I used Ian's)
- 2 teaspoons reduced fat grated Parmesan
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Using a meat mallet, pound the chicken breasts out to 1/4 inch thickness.
3. Spread each chicken breast with 1 TBSP of pizza sauce, half of the oregano, basil, and red pepper, three pepperoni slices, and 1 TBSP of the mozzarella. Secure with a couple of toothpicks.
4. Place the flour in a shallow dish, place the egg white in a separate shallow dish, and mix the breadcrumbs with 1 teaspoon of the Parmesan in a third shallow dish.
5. Roll the chicken breasts carefully in the flour to coat. Shake off excess. Dip the chicken in the egg white to coat and then into the breadcrumb mixture coating all sides.
6. Place on baking sheet seam side down and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, take out toothpicks, top with remaining pizza sauce and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan.
Yield: 2 servings
Nutrition info per serving: 288 calories, 6 g fat, 17 g carbs, 46 g protein, 1 g sugar
(Calculated from myfitnesspal.com)